Dear Karina ,
This is Lucy Yuan,colleague of Katie,from ABCD Enterprise Ltd. in China.I'm in charge of our sales team of EU business division.
lt is our mistake to delay your orders 2 - 3 shipments as your request ,due to the peak season and labor shortage before the CNY holiday. We apologize!
l know your urgent demand for promotion and advertisement. Per my checking with our boss,we plan to deliver 30% of goods by air and the rest 70% by sea. Therefore,you could receive 30% earlier than your schedule,and 70% roughly 1 or 2 weeks later.
Please reply ASAP. We have to check with forwarder urgently for arranging the delivery.
Thanks and best regards ,
1. Tm in charge of our marketing department.
2. It is our mistake to postpone the delivery date to Apr.30.
3. We could deliver them by air and pay for the freight charge.
4. Please split them into 2 ×20’containers and ship them to Bremerhaven.
5. We'll lose USD 7000 in our estimation.